Have you ever met someone who just says whatever they wish without giving a thought to someone else? Have you ever been unable to understand the feelings of someone else? Many of us live our lives completely oblivious to the fact that there are more important things than being smart or having a good career. In many countries, children are taught to always come first without regard to the steps taken to come first which can cause a child to grow up without developing their empathetic side which can cause them to fail at recognizing when they hurt someone or not feel any empathy towards the person. What is emotional intelligence? Emotional Intelligence refers to the inability to accurately perceive emotions in others as well as yourselves and use that information to guide your thinking and actions. Emotional intelligence is essential to basically every aspect of life. In fact, many experts now believe that it may actually be more important than IQ in determining overall success in life. As such, having low emotional intelligence can negatively impact not only your interpersonal relationships but also your mental and physical health.
When someone has a low emotional intelligence, there are many ways it can present itself. Below are five classic signs of people with low emotional intelligence.
1. They're Oblivious to Other People's Feelings : Many people with low emotional intelligence are confused and shocked when they realize that their friends or co-workers do not like them. They remain oblivious to the emotions felt by the people around them. Not only that, but they get annoyed when others expect them to know how they are feeling.
2. They Always Have To Be ‘Right’ : People with low emotional intelligence will often argue a point to death while refusing to listen to what anyone else has to say. Even if you provide them with proof that they are wrong, they will argue that your facts are wrong. They have to win at any cost irregardless of the feelings of the other person.
3. They Have Poor Coping Skills: Having trouble dealing with emotional problems can be a challenge for those with low emotional intelligence. These individuals will often walk away from these situations to avoid having to deal with the emotional fallout. Hiding their true emotions is also very common.
4. They Blame Others For Their Problems: People with low emotional intelligence have little insight into how their emotions might lead to problems. The one thing a person with low emotional intelligence won't do is hold themselves accountable for their actions.When something goes wrong, their first reaction is to find someone or something else to blame.
5. They Have Emotional Outbursts: People with low emotional intelligence often struggle to understand and control their emotions. They might lash out re-actively without understanding what they are really feeling or why they are so upset. The smallest things set them off into a tirade that can last for minutes, even hours.
Low emotional intelligence can cause problems in many areas of your life. Fortunately, there are things you can do to increase your emotional intelligence. Sharpening your skills can improve your personal and professional relationships as well as help in improving your mental health as well as those around you.